houseplant 101: how to mist indoor plants

houseplant 101: how to mist indoor plants

By misting the leaves of our houseplants, we can temporarily provide them with a more humid environment by spraying tiny drops of water through a Watering Spray Bottle. Houseplants can store about 95% of their water in their leaves, while only about 5 percent goes to transport nutrients. Misting plants gives the leaves a direct feeding of water.

The right way to mist indoor plants is by misting them both at the top and bottom of their leaves early in the morning (from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.) or late at night (after 5 p.m.). The plant’s stomata are open during these hours (when the sun isn’t too intense), making it easier for the plant to absorb water.

But that’s not all you should do. If this is your first time misting indoor plants, there are a few things to consider. To do anything in the best way for my houseplants, I like to do in-depth research whenever I have a question or wish to do something that should benefit them. Continue reading my conclusions to learn the proper way to mist your houseplants.

The exact method to mist your houseplants

In order to keep your houseplants (especially tropical ones) healthy, spray mist on their leaves. By misting our houseplants, we help them live in an environment that resembles their natural environments – areas with high humidity. You should spray the leaves both up and down.
Even though mist isn’t mandatory for most plants, it will help them thrive and can help solve problems such as yellow leaves or brown tips.

Please note that indoor plant mist does not replace watering their soil.

As for the question of how much mist you should mist your houseplants in regards to how much mist you should mist them so that they look as if they have just received a light dew.

Should you Mist the Soil?

In this case, the soil’s mist will not affect the plant’s growth since the volume of water used is tiny and insignificant compared to the volume used in regular irrigation. When it comes to misting the plant’s soil, the water will be unable to reach the roots of the plant, so the mist of the soil will not affect the plant’s growth.

Why is it essential to mist indoor plants?

It is essential to mist indoor plants because Many of our houseplants (Massangeana, Croton, Zebra plant, etc.) are tropical plants brought to us from the jungle, where humidity levels range between 30 and 40%. Due to the lower humidity levels in our homes, we should try to mimic the high humidity in their natural growth areas.

list of houseplants that should be misting

  • Orchids
  • Zebra plant
  • Peace lily
  • Philodendron
  • Anthurium
  • Caladium
  • Fittonia
  • Palms
  • Hoya
  • Monstera
  • Ferns
  • Maranta
  • Corn
  • Arrowhead plant
  • Pilea

list of houseplants that shouldn’t be misting

  • Fiddle leaf figs
  • Spider plants
  • Pothos
  • Yucca
  • Aloe vera
  • Cacti
  • Jade plant
  • ZZ plant
  • Succulents
  • Plants with fuzzy leaves. (such as African violets and piggyback plants)

How often should you mist indoor plants?

You should mist indoor plants one to two times per week. Mist does not replace watering. It simply makes the environment more humid for your plant.

NOTE – It is important to mist your plants more often if you are running the heating or cooling for most of the day or night.

What do you need to mist your indoor plants?

Misting your plants doesn’t require any special tools. All you need is a spray bottle and Lukewarm water:

  • Spray bottle: If you don’t have one already, check out this fancy spray bottle.Opens in a new tab. I like this spray tank because it’s comfortable and doesn’t slip out of hand. Plus, it looks like a nice design piece, so I don’t mind displaying it on the shelf at home between mistings.
  • Lukewarm water: Lukewarm water is recommended when misting houseplants. If you do not have lukewarm water, pour the water into the spray tank 24 hours before watering your plants.

Is it possible to over mist a plant?

Overfishing is not possible when it comes to plants. By misting plants, they absorb the water needed to thrive, which may cause the floor, wall, furniture, mold, and mildew to grow. You need only mist the leaves of your plants gently and appropriately to keep them healthy.

Mist your houseplants only when they are nearing the point that their levels are completely dry with few drops of water on them. And by doing this, you won’t have to worry about over-watering your plants.

houseplant 101: how to mist indoor plants
Pit it!


Hey, My name is Liat and I am addicted to house plants! I have at home more than 50 different types of plants of all kinds - succulents, cactus, tropical plants, orchids and more! Feel free to share the blog with friends on social networks.

Recent Posts